Looking for a P38

If you're not yet a member of the Register and you've got questions about membership before you join, please post them here.

Looking for a P38

Postby MGRmanic » Thu 26 Jan 2017, 18:27:03

Hi. For once I am looking for buying advice BEFORE I buy a vehicle as opposed to buying a pup and spending a fortune putting it right.
I have dipped into RR ownership before having bought a 1977 S plate about 20 years ago. Really enjoyed it and miss its all round ability. Got me through a very bad winter in the mid nineties.
I have very little knowledge of the P38 but I do know I want best condition as opposed to newer plate flattery. Condition is everything. Auto is preferable. Any advice appreciated.
MGRmanic

Membership No: 0

Re: Looking for a P38

Postby Bluesman » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 14:02:43

Hi Victor & welcome to you're official Forum. If you want a P38 or Classic that is absolutely 'as new', I could point you in the right direction. Let me know what part of the country you are from& i'll give you as much help as I can.
Regards, STEVE
Bluesman

Membership No: 6600

Postby tubthumper » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 15:55:39

I really like P38s but the really good ones seem to command ever increasing prices these days. Have you got a budget in mind?

Speaking personally - I wouldn't even entertain anything that isn't on air suspension - the ones that have been converted to coils aren't nearly as good imho.

Make sure everything (or as much as possible) works!
tubthumper
Club IT Officer

Postby Bluesman » Sun 29 Jan 2017, 00:28:41

That's good advice Victor, if the air suspension fails, always replace it with air suspension (unless you want it to handle like a go~kart).
Bluesman

Membership No: 6600

Postby tubthumper » Sun 29 Jan 2017, 17:22:08

In fairness, the air suspension components are very affordable now but make sure it rises and falls fairly swiftly (within 5-10 seconds from one level to another). Also, don't be surprised if cruise control isn't working - normally a simple fix. Same goes with heated seats. Heated windscreens tend to not work too but that's a bit more difficult to fix.

Make sure all of the door locks work and that the air con changes from hot to cold correctly. It's worth having the o-ring seals done when you get it too - not a big job but saves pain later if they were to fail.

Two keys is a bonus because they're £160 each to replace and can only be got from a main dealer. There are issues with the remote receivers for the central locking which sometimes means the antenna has been disconnected to stop the battery draining. To fix that you need another £160 box which is very easy to replace.

Steering can often feel more vague than it should but that is either bushes or the steering box and the P38 rides considerably better on 16" wheels but a lot of people have put 19" wheels on instead which can cause tram lining and a harsher ride.

Hope that helps - keep us posted on what you find :)
tubthumper
Club IT Officer

Return to Non-Members' Questions